Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Carbon Fiber part 1 of 5605938

Ok, my title might be a bit of an exaggeration, but I'll be spending a lot of time on carbon fiber decals on this kit.

What have I been doing for the last few days? Well, a lot each day, but nothing really to show. A lot of spray painting. Unfortunately I have run out of primer, and I'm not quite sure what I'm going to do about that yet. I'm almost done painting gloss black as well. I spent some time painting engine and brake parts

Here are the brakes, they are done.


Side view of the engine so far.


I tried my hand at detail painting the "Jordan" insignia on the gearbox. Results are ok.


And now for the carbon fiber decal application. Everywhere. I'm going to use Scale Motorsport for this kit. It's been a long time since I used Modeler's decals (no longer on the market?) The Scale Motorsport decals look very nice.


My weapon of choice. Yes it's made in my hometown. Yes I had to get it shipped from America. Yes the shipping cost way more than the product. But seriously...It's my weapon of choice.


One of the things you learn when making a blog about building model cars is how to take flattering pictures. This is a very nice picture of another so-so part. I started applying carbon fiber decals to this cockpit piece first because almost all the detail will be obscured by the seat. Seemed like an appropriate place to experiment, without wasting decals. My setting solution is HOT!


Looks like I won't have the problems with decals on suspension components like I had with the BMW Sauber kit.


And before you start grilling me for carbon fiber decals on suspension components of an F1 car from 1991 - BANG - there is the evidence that the front pushrods where constructed of carbon fiber, and I've even got the lay of the fiber right


Total: 37 h

No comments:

Post a Comment